The New England Nordic Ski Association (NENSA) is looking for its next Executive Director to lead this vibrant and thriving XC Ski Non-Profit Organization. Founded in 1995, NENSA is a member-supported service organization that promotes the culture of cross-country skiing by creating opportunities for youth, athletes, coaches, officials and skiers of all levels. NENSA also provides the support structure necessary to bring cross-country skiers to their highest potential at regional, national and international events.
Executive Director | Job Posting
The New England Nordic Ski Association is seeking its next Executive Director. This role requires strong, inspired leadership with a collaborative spirit to galvanize and to work with our ski community as well as our staff and Board of Directors. This position is key in supporting, overseeing and advancing NENSA’s four non-profit pillars of income: Sponsors & Grants, Donations, Membership and Programming. This person will work closely with the staff – the Competitive Program Director, Youth & Introductory Program Director, Operations Manager, and Event Support/TD Coordinator, as well as community stakeholders including members, sponsors, donors, clubs, venues, U.S. Ski & Snowboard and various NENSA and US Ski & Snowboard committees. Great people skills are a must. The Executive Director is an empowered leadership position, requiring energy, vision, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask, in advancing all of NENSA’s programming and mission.
To deliver the mission of NENSA as the regional governing body for cross country skiing in the U.S., the Executive Director will:
- Promote cross country skiing as a healthy and inclusive recreational sport.
- Provide development opportunities for skiers of all abilities and levels, including volunteer and professional development to support the sport.
- Produce high quality competitive events for elite and recreational skiers.
- Ensure compliance of NENSA with US Ski & Snowboard and be NENSA’s Representative to US Ski & Snowboard Congress.
Essential Functions – Including, but not limited to, management of the following areas:
- Overall support and management of the staff and contracted/associated professionals (timers, technical delegates, etc).
Sponsorships & Grants:
- Responsible for maintaining and expanding all current sponsors as well as finding and securing new sponsorship opportunities.
- NENSA’s Annual Fund (ongoing) – maintaining donor relationships and cultivating new ones
- Auction or other fundraising events
Finance and Administration:
- Oversight and accountability of the FY budget throughout the year in concert with the Treasurer, Finance Committee and contracted bookkeeper.
- Annual financial review with independent auditor and Treasurer.
- Oversight and renewal of insurance policies.
Promotion & Membership:
- Oversee all marketing and communications including but not limited to website, NENSA eNewsletter, and social media.
- Work with a volunteer Board of Directors who oversee and support the operation and fulfill the obligations of 501(c)(3) status.
- Education: Bachelors/Associates Degree or commensurate educational background.
- Passion and familiarity with the sport of cross country skiing and the ideals of the NENSA mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication and human relations skills
- Proficiency and comfort working in both office and field settings with appropriate technology: Google App suite (or comparable), cloud based competition and data applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work remotely in fast paced multidisciplinary team environment
- Must be eligible to work in the USA, hold a valid driver’s license, and qualify to hold a US Ski & Snowboard coaching/volunteer license (with background check).
- Regular work from home office with occasional travel to headquarters in Maine
- Regional travel in and around New England for our programming & with staff
- Occasional national travel
- Some work will be done outdoors in varying and winter weather conditions
- Able to thoughtfully handle potentially politically sensitive issues (such as COVID masking and vaccinations, climate change initiatives and trans-gender racing).
The Executive Director is a full time, year round position. This position reports to the President of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee.
- Salary based on experience
- Simple 401k match
- Phone & internet stipend for home office
- A modest health care stipend
- Executive Committee approved travel expenses reimbursed
NENSA is an equal opportunity employer. All staff and coaches undergo background checks. Start date is negotiable, but we seek to fill this role as soon as possible. Applications should be submitted by May 15, 2022. Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to Ellen Chandler & the Search Committee via email at: [email protected]