The Maine Event
October 25 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
IS BACK for the THIRD YEAR in a ROW!!
We will of course need to monitor state and county guidelines and competitors will need to adhere to our Covid Guidelines in order to participate.
On Sunday morning October 25th NENSA will be hosting the third running of the first open Rollerski Cross Country Cross event in the world. This exciting summer version of Cross Country Cross (XCX) builds on aspects of both sprinting and agility. The event will take place at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine. New for 2020, the rollerski competition will be preceded by a 5k run and a Learn to Rollerski event on the ski trails at Pineland Farms.
Photos of the 2018 event courtesy of Steve Fuller.
(Course Map) The course will be set on a 400 meter loop including 3 ramps (Bicycle, Speed Whoop and Step Down Jump) and other agility components including: the Nokian Tyres – Figure 8, one-legged balance, grass skiing and several turning features including slalom. Skiers should be prepared for a course under 2 minutes in length – with sections of open skiing including a finish straight. All skiers will participate in instruction and qualification. The top-16 Open and top-8 Junior skiers will advance to single elimination rounds – advancing by heat time. Head to Head competitors will start and finish on opposite sides of the event “oval.” Overall results will rank based on fastest recorded time.
The 5k run and rollerski event will start in the same location with the run following the “Campus Loop” trail counterclockwise. Course map here.
Video of Ramps including insight from Jessie Diggins. Stratton Mountain School XC Camp. August 2018.
Celebrity Duel at Lake Placid. Newell v. Jensen and U16 National Camp. August 2018.
College and junior skiers from Canada. Jericho, VT at Rossignol Fall Classic. October 2018.
SMS Junior Camp. Stratton Resort. August 2019.
Jack Lange / Ford Sayre “Pop Up” Event. Hanover, NH. August 2019.
9:00 am – Registration opens
10:00 am – Learn to Rollerski Clinic
11:00 am – LL Bean 5k Running Race / XCX course open for inspection
12:00 pm – 5k run awards
12:30 pm – Qualification rounds for XCX begin
1:30 pm – Showcase Elimination Rounds for XCX begins
3:15 pm – XCX Awards
- Timing will be with wand start and Finish eye.
- Prizes for the top-3 on all 6 podiums (junior/open/masters). “IronWoman /IronMan, IronGirl / IronBoy” (lowest placement in 5k run and XCX – top competitors in those four categories – will receive special prize.
- All skiers in the rounds will use matched Swenor skate rollerskis.
- 328.2.3 Gate-keepers / course marshals will report competitors to the jury that have not properly navigated features. In qualification if one feature is reported a five second penalty will be applied. If more than one violation is reported that skier will be relegated to the end of qualification results and sorted by finish time. In finals any violation will relegate the competitor to the back of the heat.
- Skiers will be seeded using U.S. Ski & Snowboard (or FIS) Sprint Points.