Plan 1 – Championship events by state. NENSA will work with each state to host a championship event that fits safely within their state’s COVID guidelines. Plans are in the works for the exact format of these events but will likely include a unique challenge event in addition to racing with metrics that facilitate competition between the states. All participants must agree to the New England Cross Country Promise.
Plan 2 – Virtual championship event. If COVID guidelines do not safely permit gatherings in every state, the championship event will go virtual. The virtual event will not be restricted through qualifying but instead will be open to every skier who fits the age requirements for EHSCs and U16s. The event will still take place on the scheduled weekend but the race structure will not be emulated. Instead, there will be a new challenge each day with individual data submitted to NENSA. NENSA will maintain a results leaderboard throughout the weekend. Virtual schedule and awards layout subject to change as we come up with new fun ideas.
- Friday: how fast can you ski 5k (must be on a loop or an out-and-back)
- Saturday: how far can you ski in 30mins
- Sunday: how much elevation can you gain in 20mins
- Team: state with the most participants, the state that skied the most distance (averaged per person so team size isn’t a factor), and the state that climbed the most elevation (also averaged per person)
- Individual: winners of each day’s challenge