While winter may be dumping lots of snow on the East this week, the end of the season races are quickly approaching. This year the Craftsbury Outdoor Center is hosting the last Popular races on the NENSA calendar, the NENSA Club Relay Championships (all legs will be freestyle) and a 40km Classic Marathon.
“The NENSA Club Relay Championship attracts skiers of all ages and abilities and is the perfect way to involve all club members in a fun and exciting event. It is a true test to see who has the premier ski club/team in New England” – former event host – Jim Fredericks.
This year’s event will determine the final placings in the season long Club Cup standings. There is tight competition between the top six teams, with NWVE coming on strong in the final events. Will you be there to see if Mansfield, Ford Sayre, EMXC, GMVS, NWVE or the Craftsbury Ski Club come out on top? Better yet, will you partake and enjoy the festivities while helping improve your club’s season standing? There will be awards for teams with cumulative ages under 100, over 100 and over 200 years – choose your teammates wisely! The Relays will be followed by a community-wide BBQ and NENSA will present the end of season awards. Make sure to bring your lawn chair, sunscreen, and best relay costumes as well as some friends to enjoy the event with!
Please note that SuperTour Finals will be taking place in the same location and days as these events. The NENSA Club Relay Championships will take place prior to the National Championship Relay (9am start for New England Club Relay, 11am start for National Championship Relay). This gives the Club relay competitors a chance to cheer on the pros! The following day, the Popular marathon will start at the same time as the National Championship 40km and Junior 20km – everyone will be seeded according to NRL rank, or will be seeded in the back of the field if they have no USSS license. Expect to see junior skiers finishing halfway through the race. This is a long race, so no need to sweat where you get placed in the start, just ease your way into the race and have fun!
There’s a lot of information on the registration and event pages. Here are NENSA’s tips for registering:
- Go to Craftsbury’s event page
- Click on the registration link (also view Race Guide via link for important details)
- On registration page, scroll down to see Popular Events group
- Select the events you want and follow prompts
- If you’re doing the NENSA Club Relay Championship:
- Register at the same time as your three teammates (this could be a fun zoom meeting)
- One member of your team must fill out this google form to complete team registration (all team members must register on Skireg first)
- Check out Craftsbury’s Club Relay Championship document for more information
***Note Registration prices increase after March 17th, relay registration closes March 22nd.