NENSA is proud to continue celebrating the athletic accomplishments of this winter by introducing the 2020 Elite and Development Team nominations and give you some updates looking into the future. While we don’t know our exact calendars for the next few months we do know that our skiers are healthy and will be resilient to whatever challenges they face. We will best navigate this important moment by staying calm and optimistic.
Read on for the: 1) 2020 Elite and Development Team Nominations, 2) insight from U.S. Ski & Snowboard (including Regional (REG) Camp / U16 National Camp updates and selections), and 3) an outlook on how we are approaching NENSA rollerski programming.
- The criteria set forth to name the NENSA Elite and Development Team represent a pathway to regional, national and international success. The number of athletes named to these teams each year demonstrates the depth of the Eastern region in cross country skiing. Athletes named to these teams are invited to regional training camps and races, and part of a broader team that continues to excel at all levels. Further Elite Team / Development Team information.
2020 Elite and Development Team Nominations
|ELITE TEAM||20 men||DEVO TEAM||26 men|
|Top 15||SR (4-8)|
|Kyle Bratrud||Ian Moore||EISA|
|Benjamin Lustgarten||Raleigh Goessling|
|Simeon Hamilton||Carter Hall|
|Adam Martin||U23 (4-8)|
|Ian Torchia||Elliot Ketchel||EISA|
|Ben Ogden||EISA / JWC||Finn O’Connell||EISA|
|Karl Schulz||EISA / Mid – A||Daniel Streinz|
|SR (top 3)||Christian Gostout||EISA|
|Akeo Maifeld-Carucci||Adam Glueck||EISA|
|Benjamin Saxton||U20 (4-8)|
|Braden Becker||Peter Moore|
|U23 (top 3)||Anders Sonnesyn|
|Peter Wolter||EISA||Griffin Wright|
|Zane Fields||U23WC||Sam Hodges|
|Bill Harmeyer||EISA||Josh Valentine|
|U20 (top 3)||U18 (4-8)|
|Scott Schulz||EISA / Mid-A||Aidan Burt|
|Isaac Freitas-Eagan||EISA||Mathias Boudreau-Golfman|
|James Kitch||Jack Christner|
|Gregory Burt||EISA||Linden Niedeck|
|U18 (top 3)||Jack Young|
|Brian Bushey||U18||Trey Jones|
|Finn Sweet||Jack Lange|
|7 REG||18 REG||25 REG|
|ELITE TEAM||22 women||DEVO TEAM||23 women|
|Top 15||U23 (4-8)|
|Sophie Caldwell||Abigail Drach||EISA|
|Jessie Diggins||Erin Bianco|
|Julia Kern||Lauren Jortberg||EISA|
|Caitlin Patterson||Lizzie Larkins|
|Katharine Ogden||EISA||Lucy Hochschartner||Mid-A|
|Kaitlynn Miller||Jackie Garso||EISA/Mid-A|
|Sophia Laukli||EISA / JWC||Marin Coletta||EISA|
|Alexandra Lawson||EISA / U23WC||U20 (4-8)|
|SR (top 3)||Lucinda Anderson||EISA|
|Evelina Sutro||EISA||Anna Lehmann|
|Alayna Sonnesyn||Sofia Sanchez|
|Elizabeth Guiney||Phoebe Sweet|
|U23 (top 3)||Lillian Bates|
|Annika Landis||EISA||U18 (4-8)|
|Gabrielle Vandendries||Quincy Massey-Bierman|
|Renae Anderson||EISA||Camille Bolduc|
|U20 (top 3)||Samantha Nolan|
|Waverly Gebhardt||Elsa Bolinger|
|Margaret Gellert||EISA||Emma Strack|
|Charlotte Ogden||Sofia Scirica|
|U18 (top 3)||Evelyn Walton|
|Nina Seemann||U18||Mica Bodkins|
|Amelia Tucker||Emma Charles|
|Shea Brams||Hattie Barker|
|8 REG||16 REG||24 REG|
2) From Bryan Fish, U.S. Ski & Snowboard, Cross Country Sport Development Manager:
“Winter 19-20 was once again historic in year. Thank you for being such an integral part of this success. I am reaching out to provide U.S. Ski & Snowboard insight for the upcoming summer camp season during this time of uncertainty. Our first goal is to ensure health and safety of our whole ski community. We also want to continue to motivate and engage our up-and-coming cross country skiers. Our REG, National U16, NEG, and NTG camps are a critical opportunity to do motivate, engage, and progress our junior athletes.
Covid-19 continues to spread across the USA. More states are implementing mandatory stay-at-home policies in an effort to slow the spread of this pandemic. We will return to normalcy, however it is challenging at this current time to know when that will be. We would like to propose the following guidance:
We are anticipating normalcy will return at or before late July/August, therefore we are planning (hoping) that National junior camps in late July and August can remain as scheduled. Please note that we have received notification (below) that the 2020 Equinor International Junior Camp (IJC) in Norway is scheduled to be held. Norway will re-evaluate the decision to host in early June (as outlined in the invite below). We would like to keep this camp a part of our development pathway by participating in this every other year. We had planned on taking part in the IJC camp prior to Covid-19 and we hope to maintain this plan.
Our guidance is that we should wait to schedule Regional Elite Group camps. Initial regional planning of REG should take place with a the understanding that dates are tentative. We propose re-evaluating REG dates on May 1st and determine if normal REG dates (mid-June through early-July) are appropriate OR if REG camps should be postponed and held later in summer – immediately before U16 camp, during U16 camp, or possibly in August. U.S. Ski & Snowboard/ USST staffing would do its best to support REG, however we believe each region is highly capable of hosting a great camp without U.S. Ski & Snowboard/ USST if necessary. That said, we feel that creative options should be considered such as multiple REG camps held on the same dates.
- Regional Elite Camp dates: re-evaluate appropriate dates to host REG camps May 1st. Have later dates considered in advance of May 1st.
- June NTG Park City, UT June 7-14th – re-evaluate feasibility to host this camp on May 1st (recognize this camp might be cancelled due to Covid-19)
- 2020 National U16 Camp is slated to be held in Sun Valley, Idaho July 18-25
- 2020 Equinor International Junior Camp – (Lillehammer, NOR Aug 7-14) (USA – 2weeks – Aug 2-14)
Thank you for your continued hard work, patience, and persistence in keeping our athletes safe, healthy, and motivated. “
Proposed 2020 Eastern REG Camp – Stratton Mountain School
June 23-27 — feasibility of this date will be re-examined May 1st
Backup dates: August 17 – 21
New England Nominations for 2020 U16 National Camp – Sun Valley, Idaho
July 18-25 — feasibility of this date will be re-examined mid-May / early June.
Below is the information regarding the National U16 Camp Selections for 2020. The calculations were determined using the posted U16 selection procedures with the exception that only the first two races were able to be utilized for scoring. In some ways, though we were fortunate in that we had one race in each technique. Remember that a skier can score either their prelim or their final result from the sprint but not both.
For your reference: National U16 Camp Selection Criteria
Rankings as Calculated via National U16 Camp Selection rankings
3) Our 2020 Rollerski Programming is currently in a holding pattern as we want to ensure the safety of our community before trying to publish dates for programming. We are optimistic we will be able to offer clinics, club outreach opportunities and competition before or during the fall. We can’t wait to share exciting events with our population again and will be in touch with updates as soon as they are available.
- You can look forward to a “how to build” a bicycle ramp video in the coming weeks – so find carpenter / builder in the and we can help build some fun remotely.